Thanksgiving is a time of reflection and celebration. It’s a time to have fun with our families and friends, to eat too much, to watch parades and football and, for many, a time to help others in our communities. Most of all, it is a time to reflect on what we are all thankful for this year.
At FCA, we too have a lot to celebrate as we break for the holiday weekend, including the many people in our community who have come together to work with us to support the building of our new Jeep® plant, the first new assembly plant built in the city of Detroit in nearly 30 years. The state-of-the-art assembly plant will be home to an all-new, three-row, full-size Jeep SUV and the next-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee, as well as electrified models and thousands of new FCA employees.
Since announcing in February that FCA would invest $1.6 billion to convert two existing Mack facilities into a new assembly plant, creating 3,850 new jobs, FCA has partnered with local community leaders and organizations to listen to their concerns, engage them in the decision making, and ensure educational and environmental needs are addressed.
In conjunction with the City of Detroit and community organizations, we are thankful for:
- the 400 job fairs held by Detroit at Work at career centers, churches and other locations around the city
- the more than 11,000 pre-qualified Detroiters who expressed interest in working at the Company’s new assembly plant
- our collaboration with neighborhood organizations that have, so far, resulted in the beautification of Beniteau Community Park and Canfield Alliance gardens, emergency response flood relief in Jefferson Chalmers, Keep Belle Isle Beautiful and other initiatives
- our partnership with Southeastern High School and the nine students who have completed summer internships at the Jefferson North Assembly plant, with five interns continuing to work at the plant while attending community college
- creating one of the most efficient and sustainable manufacturing operations at FCA in North America – with the lowest VOC emissions rate in the United States – ensuring that it is a good neighbor to the community
Just as many families come together this week to celebrate, these are just a handful of reasons why we are thankful this holiday season.
From our FCA family to yours, we wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.